The Perilous Effects of Tooth Loss
When a tooth is lost, the surrounding jaw bone will start to deteriorate and cause a cascade of negative side effects, including:
- Adjacent teeth drifting to fill in the open spot
- Breaking of teeth that are now out of proper alignment
- Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) issues
- Loss of facial structure, causing “sunken” appearance
- Change in diet due to not being able to chew properly
Replacing missing teeth with methods like bridges and dentures, while effective, are not without their fair share of risks. Often, bridges and dentures need regular repair and replacement and do not help to save your jaw bone. All of these problems can be avoided with implant dentistry procedures. Dr. George Harper provides dental implant restoration services to improve the function and appearance of your smile after tooth loss.